Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Saturday 28 July 2012

A little help please......

So I've been doing a lot of blog reading in the past few months. Seeing various handmade items. The one that has baffled me the most is quilts.
When I read up the quilt stats and what the person intends to use it for that's when I get confused. As I haven't made many I have no idea on what the quilt sizes should be. I see some making baby quilts which range anywhere from 30"-60" which to me seems a little large for a baby, unless its a size for them to grow up into?
Square quilts also seem strange to me as most beds and such are rectangles. So two different inch sizes seem better to me.
Another one that baffles my mind are mini quilts/wall hangings. I imagine a mini quilt being something like 12" - possibly 16 at the largest. So when I read that someone has made it 18 - 30" to me that size range seems large to be putting up on a wall. Even when I was reading about doll quilts they too seemed large and I wondered how big is the doll?!

I'm sure the UK and USA metric/imperial sizing besides clothing works out the same right? or am I wrong as in the USA you use yards were we have metres....

So If any of you out there could give me some sizes what you consider to fall into the categories of mini quilts, baby quilts, lap quilts and the bed size quilts that would be really helpful.

So today I went to my besties birthday party...(though not official till the 30th)...the usual suspects were there. Which is funny as most seem to forget that I see them like every year at her party! Her Father even went as far as to ask if I was married yet. Like yeah right! Me? Married? As if!!
We ate, chatted, laughed it was a fun event as always!

In sewing news. I am going on an official as from today going on a fabric ban! I have been buying too much lately, even if it was to better my stash. My money is going down and I can no longer afford those purchases. I may even take down my swaps for a while until I can save up a bit more money.
Come this August/September I'll be sorting out my sewing things/fabric and the stock I have been making up, to open my own Etsy shop! I just have to take pictures and put together a banner, think of a name and sort pricing/shipping costs then it'll be underway.

I will leave you with some further sneaks to my next project.





Siya'll tomorrow!

9 comments:

  1. a baby quilt to me is really anywhere from 24" x 24" (inches) to 36" x 54" (crib size) -- that way it could be used as a blanket, playmat, or crib quilt -- lap quilts tend to vary by preference, I typically make them on the larger size 60" x 60" or 50" x 60" -- mini's are completely up to preference, some people have a lot of wall space and would prefer something larger! -- hope that helps, sorry i'm US based so metric system is foreign to me ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I make I spy quilts that are 27x32 it's more car seat, stroller size. I downloaded the size of everything else on the internet. I love reading your journal blogs:-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cherie......as far as a square quilt goes, many mothers like a square quilt because they are easier to wrap a baby in...and, again, a square quilt is good for a hanging but I am with you as far as different lengths/widths for the bed size quilts.... In the past I have usually made large quilts that can be used as spreads....at least large enough for a queen sized bed.....like Jennifer, my measurements are not metric but I am pretty sure there are some websites that can give you some insight on metric measures for the different mattress sizes......looking forward to you getting your Etsy shop going.........once you start getting some money coming in you will be able to justify more fabric buying!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think it depends on where you expect your quilt to be used.
    In UK, most single beds are 3' wide. But a small single may be 2'6", or even 2'3". So, are you going to make your quilt oblong, 3' by 4', or 3' by 4'6, so it 'perches' on top of the bed, or perhaps you want it to drape down the sides? so add another 18" each side, so it just clears the floor? and has your bed got a footboard, so you stop at the length of the bed, or is it a divan, with no footboard, and you would like some drape over the end?

    if you make a baby quilt, then you may want a 'floor quilt', and lay that on the floor for baby to play, or a snuggly cot quilt, to keep baby warm, or a little pram quilt, for out and about. So all depends where you see your quilt travelling!

    Nevertheless, I find my quilts find their own size, and place to be!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know what you mean, I totally struggle with that too. I found this chart on Pinterest but think it is more American than UK as our sizes are normally smaller than that. But when I make my baby quilts they alwazs end up being between 30 and 40". http://pinterest.com/pin/204773114277588623/

    ReplyDelete
  6. When I make my quilts, I never really go on sizes, more how big I want it to be or what I want it for

    ReplyDelete
  7. A lot of times when I make a quilt, it's not for a bed, so it might be square. I'll use it as a table cover or a lap quilt or a wall hanging. I've made some pretty big ones to have as wall hangings too. I think the largest one was 4' x 5'. A friend of mine has a very large house with a two storey entryway. She's got an antique quilt hanging there that's bed sized, probably close to a double bed size.
    As for the metric/imperial sizing, here in Canada we use metric while in the US they use imperial. But it's not that different. A yard is 36" while a meter is 39", so Canadian fat quarters are actually slightly bigger than ones cut in the US!

    ReplyDelete
  8. oh, can't wait to see what you make with the triangles in your sneak peak photos!

    I always make baby quilts on the large side, so as baby grows they can still be wrapped up in it. When my oldest was born, we had been given an absurd number of baby blankets {well over 50!} but it wasn't long before he was too big to be swaddled in the small blankets, but he still wanted to be swaddled. fortunately my Mom had made two fleece blankets that were a bit bigger. Even though we still couldn't swaddle him because they were rectangular, we rolled him up snuggly & he was happy. That's how he got the nickname 'burrito baby' :)
    so anyway, I would recomend 50-60 inches square for a baby quilt. when they are tiny you can just wrap them in one corner and let the extra length hang down :)
    that's my 2 cents worth, anyway. hope it helps :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's something I always struggle with too.
    I make my baby quilts at least 35"x45" so the baby can grow with it and the mother can use it as a crib quilt or even in the toddler bed.
    For the lap quilts, I like them to be on the bigger size because there's nothing more annoying than having your feet uncovered so I try to make then at least 50" wide by 60/70" long.
    For the bed quilts, I've never made a single bed quilt but for a queen sized quilt, I made 3 that were around 95"x95"..

    Hope this helps a little :)

    ReplyDelete

Accepting friendly and crazy comments since February 2012. Hope you come back soon =D